Back in HK after 8 years

Friday, April 27, 2018 No comments

Remember last year when I said I wanted to spend my 25th birthday in Disneyland but due to unforeseen circumstances (peer pressure is what I really mean), we ended up in Taiwan? Well, albeit nine months late, I did get to go back to Disneyland!


Disneyland Resort Station

I find it imperative to share how successful this family trip was. From the itinerary down to the nice weather. Although I must admit, DIY travelling with unfit parents, whiny siblings and a baby who wants to be carried all the time is no easy feat.

First off, hotels are relatively expensive in Hong Kong. A decent hotel room in neighbor countries would cost as much as a budget hotel in Hong Kong - which I find hard to grasp since HK is not exactly as neat and pretty as Singapore. So as a family of six travelling on a budget, we opted for AirBNB. HK is known for its residential complexes, so there are vertical homes practically everywhere. Also, everything seems to be a lot more narrow- roads, streets, even buildings. We stayed in Mong Kok, at one of those old tenement-like buildings with shops on the ground floor and living spaces on the upper floors. I didn’t get to take a picture of the exterior but you have probably seen the typical street facade of Mong Kok on every blogger’s Instagram. The inside of the apartment was clean and cozy. But the best part was that it was a 2-minute walk to Mong Kok MTR station which made commuting so much easier. The catch? 4th floor (technically 5th since they didn’t count the shops on the ground), steep and narrow staircase and two big words: NO LIFT. I thought I was physically fit being a regular gym-goer and yet going up and down (especially while I was carrying my luggage bag) killed me each time. Imagine how it was for my dad who has a heart condition. Que horror.

The buildings look very much alike so I am quite sure, mid-rise buildings with no lifts are common in Mong Kok. So if you’re planning to stay there and booking thru AirBNB, make sure you consider this part. Locals don’t seem to mind though. Our host just stormed up the staircase carrying my dad’s luggage. Still, I have no regrets choosing the place. Hello, we were situated in the middle of HK’s shopping capital and the Ladies Market was only a hundred meters away? I am not much of a shopaholic but that was a major perk!



Made sure I was casual, comfy yet stylish enough for pictures because walking in an amusement park is not your typical “walk in the park”

Cinderella’s castle was closed for renovation so that was kind of a bummer

Again, this was a DIY trip so we took three trains to Disneyland. I would say hassle, but I firmly believe that if you can commute in Manila during peak hours, you could commute anywhere in the world.

My outfits were not well-thought of since I’m a crammer when it comes to packing (okay, with pretty much everything), but I’m glad they all turned out pretty well.

It was my first time at Ocean Park Hong Kong and I kind of liked it here.  

Cable car to the summit

Ocean Park is divided into two areas: The Waterfront and The Summit. They are literally mountains away from each other so you have two options: train or cable car. If heights don’t bother you, I would suggest taking the cable car at least once (you could ride the train going back). You should not miss the view from up there. Although admittedly, this made me realize I have a slight fear of heights. My knees trembled so much and in those fifteen minutes I couldn’t help but visualize the unlikely event of those cables snapping.

Old Hong Kong, Ocean Park

Actually, this amusement park trip was primarily for this spoiled baby right here. She’s too little to remember all this though. So basically, it’s her parents, my youngest sibling, and I who enjoyed the most. We wanted more roller coaster rides!


Nan Lian Garden

My last HK OOTD

Nan Lian Garden is also gaining fame, thanks to Instagram. It was only a 15-minute train ride from our apartment so we also made sure to drop by.




Ladies’ Market, Mong Kok

Trip to HK would not be complete without shopping. Honestly, it’s much more fun to shop in Bangkok since it’s cheaper, but Mong Kok’s night market also has a lot of interesting items. Just make sure you pack your Divisoria haggling skills, because you can put it to really good use.

Honestly, HK was never a favorite for many reasons, but it was good to be back.


No comments

© 2015 Southern Belle ALL RIGHTS RESERVED • BLOG CRAFTED BY THE MODERN PAGE